Ah, summer time. The time to kick back and read those books that you’ve been putting off reading for months! Now that you have “more time” it should be easy, right? Well I will be the first to say that it’s not as easy as it sounds. It’s hard to get into the mindset to read a ton of books when you have been slacking all year (and obviously, I’m talking about myself). I have come up with some rules I follow when trying to get through a book list that can make it a little easier to keep powering through.
- Schedule your reading. Lately, I’ve been scheduling my reading time in my planner. I give myself (at the very least) one hour a day to just sit down and read. This helps me hold myself accountable so I can’t use excuses like “I don’t have the time”.
- If you can’t get into a book, stop reading it! Hey, your time I precious. Don’t waste time reading a book that you just can’t get into or that you know from the first 10 pages that you won’t like. I used to be the type of person who absolutely NEEDED to finish a book no matter what, but it became a struggle to finish these books and it took forever. You have a list of books to get through; don’t waste your time on the ones you’re not going to like.
- Cleanse your palate. If you read my blog, you have probably heard me say that a lot. I like to read smaller books between the books that are 300+ pages. I call these smaller books “palate cleansers” because they give you a break from reading one long continuous story. This is when I usually read short stories and novellas.
- Get out of the house. It’s summer. Why spend all your time reading inside the house? I have noticed that I, personally, want to read longer if I’m outside (depending on the temperature). Got to a park, sit on your porch, or go to that (air conditioned) coffee shop with the giant window that lets the light in! Trust me, the sun will keep you relaxed and wanting to read more!
- Choose wisely. Choose books according to what you like best! Yes, summer reading is my time for experimenting and setting goals- but that doesn’t mean that I can’t read a few books that I absolutely know I will enjoy. I love mysteries so I made sure to put a few of those on my reading list. This keeps me reading so I can get to these books faster!
I hope these tips come in handy this summer! Let me know your favorite tip to get through your long reading lists in the comments! Happy Reading!