Just because I tend to prefer adult fiction doesn’t mean that I am not completely 100% obsessed with Harry Potter! I belong to the generation who was lucky enough to grow up with Harry when the movies were released. I remember sitting in my fourth grade class as my teacher, Mrs. Glascow, read The Sorcerer’s Stone to us. I have always been fascinated with the world of Harry Potter and today I just felt like I wanted…no…needed to share my HP love with you! Especially since Harry Potter and the Cursed Child was released only about two weeks ago!
All photos below courtesy of Pinterest
First things first, I have taken the Pottermore house sorting quiz and I am proud to say that I am a Gryffindor! My boyfriend, Brandon, is a Ravenclaw and we live together in peace and harmony under one roof. If you haven’t taken it, I encourage you to do so! If you don’t want to create an account on Pottermore, you can take the Pottermore version here: http://www.playbuzz.com/emilyz14/the-hogwarts-sorting-quiz-pottermore-version
My Harry Potter Favorites:
My favorite movie character: Ron Weasley! I have the hugest crush on Rupert Grint. I don’t even know. He’s just so completely adorable and foolish!
My favorite book character: Sirius Black. Don’t get me wrong, Gary Oldman was the perfect Sirius black! In fact, he’s my other HP movie crush! But book Sirius was not only a badass, but kind of hot headed which made his character even more interesting. And his death was the most difficult for me to handle. Sirius Black forever!
My favorite movie: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince! Is anyone else obsessed with the “Harry ‘drunk’ on liquid luck” scene?! Haha! I laugh every time. Well done, Dan.
My favorite book: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. I laughed. I cried. Enough said.
My favorite book cover: The Order of the Phoenix! That blue just draws you in!
My favorite spell: (Besides Expecto Patronum- which is always appropriate to yell in public, btw) Lumos! Let there be light!
My favorite Harry Potter quote: “After all this time?” “Always,” said Snape. This gives me goosebumps every time I read it. There are so many wonderful quotes in this entire series…but these five words break my soul!
Harry Potter and the Cursed Child:
“Based on an original new story by J.K. Rowling, Jack Thorne and John Tiffany, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, a new play by Jack Thorne, is the first official Harry Potter story to be presented on stage.” (Goodreads)
I lost my shit when I heard this script was being released! This meant that the magic wasn’t over! I bought it at midnight on the release date at Walmart (because I live in a small town that doesn’t have any cool bookstores). I spent the first few days just carrying it with me wherever I went…but when I finally read it I felt so much joy. The story continued! I cried. I fell in love with the old characters again, but there were a few things I didn’t like about the overall story.
My “Cursed Child” dislikes:
- What the hell happened to Ron? They made him seem like a complete idiot who was just along for the ride. Did we forget that he played a MAJOR part in saving the wizarding world?!
- I know this is kind of a stand alone story, but I desperately wanted to know what the rest of the gang was up to! Luna, George, Dean, Cho! Neville is mentioned…but just barely. I WAS DYING TO KNOW.
- Much like the seventh book in the series…there was absolutely no closure at the end.
Although I had these few dislikes, I absolutely loved the story!
My “Cursed Child” Likes (without giving too much away):
- We finally find out what Harry, Ron, and Hermione have been up to for nineteen years!
- The new characters (all of their children) are fantastic! Yeah they may all have famous parents that have been loved and adored for ages, but Rowling did a great job of giving them their own personalities!
- The old novels are still alive! Without giving too much away…if you can’t let go of HP 1-7, you may not have to! 😉
Overall, I am obsessed with all things Harry Potter and I was impressed with The Cursed Child. I just hope this isn’t the last we’ve seen of Harry and the gang! Fingers crossed!