I have always wanted to start a book club! All of my closest friends, cocktails, and great books- nothing better! I recently decided to start a Revitalized Reading Facebook group for those who want to discuss books and popular issues within the world of literature! Not exactly a book club, but maybe eventually it will turn into one! You can join the Revitalized Reading Facebook group here. Because book clubs are growing in popularity, I thought it would be fun to write a little “how-to” on starting a successful book club! So, you wanna start a book club? Then keep reading!
- People, Places, Things
- Congratulations, you have finally decided to start up that book club that has been on your to-do list for years! Now what? First, you need to decide WHO will be in your book club. Is this a club with just your closest friends, co-workers, or family? Once you have decided who will make up your book club you now need to figure out if it will be open or closed. An open book club allows new people to join at any time and it increases your chances of growing as a club! I like open clubs, but closed clubs can be great too. A closed club allows you and your friends/co-workers/family to share something fun between a close-knit group of people. Either way, it’s a win-win!
- Next, you need to figure out WHERE you will be meeting and how often you want to meet! Coffee shops are great for discussion groups. You could also take turns hosting book club meetings. How often you meet depends on how many times you want to meet up to discuss one book or how quickly your group can read one book. For instance, you may decide to meet every week. The first week you can discuss up to chapter 10 and the second week you can discuss the book as a whole. Or you could meet once a month and discuss one book you’ve read. See? Lots of options to make your book club your own!
- And finally, WHAT TYPE OF BOOKS WILL YOUR CLUB BE READING? Are you strictly a mystery book club? Or does everyone really enjoy Young Adult fantasy? Find what genres work for your group and choose books that are great discussion starters.
- Choose Someone to Get Things Movin’!
- If you are the one starting the club- most likely this person will be you, but you don’t have to do it alone! Recruit members of your group to take on different tasks! Say one of your friends is super organized. He/she can be in charge of sending out email reminders and contacting everyone with dates and locations of meetings. Someone else can write up a few starter discussion questions and research books to be read in the future. It is also important to have a few rules in place. For instance, what if someone shows up and they haven’t read the book? Many clubs encourage people to come even if that haven’t finished the book, just remind them that the ending may get spoiled for them! The more the merrier, right?
- CHOOSE SOME GREAT BOOKS!
- Once you have a general genre, there are many ways to choose the books you will be reading as a club. One person can choose the book list if you all have similar taste or each person can choose a book and then draw titles out of a hat in the order you will read them. You can also find many book club lists on sites like Pinterest!
- Make Your Book Club Your Own!
- Be creative! Make themed cocktails and have themed snacks, or even better, dress up as your favorite characters from the book! Have fun with it!
Here are a few resources where you can find some excellent books that are perfect for book clubs: